Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

From Division Comes Fabulous Fusion

I learned two fabulous and exciting things while pseudo-stalkerishly following a whole bunch o’ celebrities on Twitter!

Firstly, I learned that Evanescence, one of my favorite bands ever, are working on their next CD! That sort of news is always reason for a “Woohoo!”
UPDATE July 22, 2011: There is now a date set for the release of the new Evanescence CD! According to the MTV, that date is October 11, 2011!
UPDATE August 9, 2011: The new single from that album was released on iTunes today and will be released in better places (imho) on August 16! It's called "What You Want," and if what you want is to watch Evanescence perform it live, you can do that here! I like it a lot! Woohoo!
UPDATE October 12, 2011: Evanescence's self-titled CD was released yesterday, and I love it!  Keep an eye out for a blog posting devoted to it in the near future!


I also discovered (in that same article I just linked to – actually this whole blog posting is based on that article, which I saw on Evanescence’s Twitter) that Ben Moody, formerly of Evanescence (which he co-founded), has joined together with some other people who are also formerly of Evanescence and Carly Smithson to form a band called We Are the Fallen. “Who on earth is Carly Smithson?” you ask? She was an American Idol finalist in the year of two wonderful Davids (Cook and Archuleta). She was one of the two foreigners that year, both of whom I love; Michael Johns the Australian is the other foreigner, and Carly Smithson is Irish; they both live in America – that is why they could be American Idol finalists, I assume.

The musical merging of We Are the Fallen is so exciting for me! It’s the fusion of two of my favorite things – whiskers on kittens and raindrops on roses -- oops, I mean Evanescence and American Idol! This is going to be great!


Tear The World DownIt is great! I immediately bought We Are the Fallen’s MP3 single Bury Me Alive from Amazon, which says a lot since it’s very rare that I buy singles when I know I’m going to buy the full album when it’s released (UPDATE August 12, 2010: It was released on May 11, 2010, and is called Tear the World Down and it's rather good, as I expected it would be). As I expected, "Bury Me Alive" is a great song. It actually sounds a lot like Evanescence with a different (though similar) voice, which makes sense since that is what We Are the Fallen is. Since I tend to love everything Evanescence has done musically, the Evanescenciness of the song is definitely not a bad thing. Regarding the similar-but-different voice, while Carly Smithson definitely has a great voice, it really doesn’t compare to Amy Lee’s ethereally beautiful voice. However, this is not to say that I don’t love Carly Smithson and her fantastic voice – I definitely do. Amy Lee’s voice is unique – it’s in a different realm; to compare any other voice to hers wouldn’t be fair.

The new band’s name is rather cute, since Evanescence’s first CD (possibly the best CD EVER) is called Fallen. I guess Ben Moody et al. might want to subtly remind people of their part in the creation of Fallen, as well as perhaps expressing some sadness for having fallen out of Evanescence.

Evanescence itself now contains only one remaining original member, co-founder Amy Lee. However, there is no doubt in my mind that Evanescence will continue to be the incredible band it has been, and will continue to make incredible music with Amy Lee’s incredible voice and talents.

I hope that any remaining ill feelings between Evanescence and We Are the Fallen evanesce. Amy Lee and Ben Moody are both incredibly talented people whose talents have influenced each other in beautiful and lasting ways (or so I assume – I mean, I don’t know these people).

No comments:

Post a Comment