Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Idol Thoughts and Predictions

WARNING: The following contains mildly explicit language. Viewer discretion is advised.

In my previous blog posting, I wondered if American Idol will have wildcard contestants this season, and I suggested two potential candidates. Idol confirmed tonight that there will be wildcard contestants. I think they will be Colton Dixon, Chris Medina, and either Ashley Sullivan or Jessica Cunningham the 7-timer.

As I implied in the blog posting I mentioned above, I think they kicked the former two out before the Top 24 for publicity – to get people talking about them and about American Idol in general, and then they planned from the start to bring them back as wildcards. Time will tell if I’m right.

To further my predictions, I am guessing that Jennifer Lopez will choose Chris Medina (because of all her tears for him), Steven Tyler will choose one of the girls, and Randy Jackson will choose Colton Dixon because he is the best judge we have right now and must surely see the talent they passed over. Alternatively (and to increase my chances of being right lol), Steven Tyler might choose Chris because he clearly hearts Chris and his fiancĂ©.

I’ve become very much disappointed in Steven Tyler as a judge. On tonight’s episode he just loved almost everyone, just as J-Lo did – even when certain contestants were just horrible. I’m not as disappointed in J-Lo as I am in Steven Tyler because my expectations of the former are significantly lower than they are for the latter because I don’t believe J-Lo has much musical talent and because I think at times, she tends toward fakeness. I was relieved that Randy Jackson showed some judging balls, proving that he does belong in the Cowell position…ewww, that sounds inappropriate lol.

Getting back to the singing people, my favorite male contestants other than the two mentioned above are James Durbin and Scotty McCreery, and to a lesser extent Brett Loewenstern and Jacob Lusk. Of the females, I might only like Lauren Alaina, but to be honest, I hardly remember the rest of them. Perhaps I will like s’more of them tomorrow.

UPDATE March 2, 2011

Well, it seems that I do like a few of the female contestants. In addition to the previously mentioned Lauren Alaina, I also like the contestant with the cartoon character name Thia Megia, and to a lesser extent, Naima Adedapo and Rachel Zevita. If the people I like don’t make it though, it will be entirely my fault, for I have not been voting this season.

I remain baffled at the level of praise given to most of the contestants.

UPDATE: March 17, 2011

I’m happy to see that the judges’ judging has improved somewhat, based on last night’s episode. Obviously, that can only mean that they have all read my blog. Perhaps a portion of their improvements reflects a shift in my perception, in that my expectations of all three judges have been lowered. I no longer hold any of them to the Cowell standard; instead, I regard the revelation of any glimmer of a critical thought as a sign of improving judging skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment